Proving Medical Negligence After a Birth Injury
To successfully establish liability in a birth injury case, hiring experienced representation is critical to secure maximum compensation. Fortunately, our Tallahassee birth injury lawyers have extensive knowledge of medical malpractice laws in Florida, empowering them to fight for justice.
Our firm helps clients establish these critical core elements of their case:
- Duty of Care: Our birth injury attorneys can help victims demonstrate that the offending provider owed them a certain standard of care that would be reasonably expected of anyone under similar circumstances.
- Breach of Duty: Our lawyers can work to demonstrate that the healthcare provider breached the duty of care owed to the patient, resulting in the birth injury.
- Damages: To successfully recover damages in a birth injury case, the plaintiff is responsible for proving that they suffered compensatory damages due to the breach, such as medical expenses and emotional distress.
- Causation: Proving causation is often the most difficult part of recovering compensation in a birth injury lawsuit. Our lawyers have the in-depth knowledge of medical malpractice laws to establish that medical negligence directly resulted in the birth injury suffered.
You Only Pay When You Collect
Our work is conducted on a contingent fee basis. This means that you pay nothing unless we make a recovery on your behalf.
Experienced Trial Attorneys
Each case is assigned to a lead attorney and a supporting attorney. This ensures continuity during the legal process and enables us to provide responsive service.
Hundreds of Millions Recovered
At Perry & Young Law Firm, we take pride in championing the rights of our clients. We have secured hundreds of millions for our clients.
Perry & Young Law Firm represented me with my discrimination case. Mrs. Jeanetta Brown conducted my intake and was a great pleasure to work with! From the beginning of initial contact to the end of my settlement, they treated me like family. The defendants wanted to treat me as a nuance, but my Perry & Young Law Firm didn’t treat me as such and made sure I was fairly compensated. I appreciate their patience, handling my case with care, and respect!- Brittany P.
Team Howell: Ted, Kris and Trina. They were excellent to work with, they made sure to communicate with me every time there were changes or more information in my case. They guided me and advised me through every step in my case. They are very friendly and welcoming. I could not ask for a better group to represent me. I am truly thankful for them.- Bob D.
I had a remarkable experience with Perry and Young. My guy Les McFatter was very professional and always a text or phone call away to answer any questions or concerns. He went above and beyond to make this experience as smooth as possible! Maggie Harris thank you for making communication so easy. Highly recommend! Thank you Les and Maggie!- Travis J.
Kelly, Morgan, and Lauren are so welcoming and informative. They make a real difference both in and out of the office with their drive, ambition, and support.- Rebecca S.
I’m grateful to have chosen a firm that was professional, caring and made the process go smoothly. Ted and his team had great follow through and kept me informed throughout the entire process. I fully trust them and wouldn’t call anyone else.- Melissa M.
I have used Ted Howell and Trina at this firm to help me for my claim and have referred other people as well to them that they have helped. They are dedicated to helping you and will go above and beyond for you. You will never have to wonder what is going on with your case as they always keep you in the loop. I highly recommend Ted and Trina if you need someone in your corner!- Hollie H.
Seriously so thankful to have found this firm. The staff at this establishment are so warm and welcoming and they are sharks they work hard you and put your needs first. Their communication is top tier they are patient and explain things to you so you can understand them. Thank you so much team Phillip you guys rock!- Lisa D.
I’m so very grateful for choosing this firm. Also I highly recommend Lance Berry! He has went above and beyond to help me. He genuinely and sincerely has compassion for others. He was very kind and understanding about my injuries and situations. Thank you so very much for everything you’ve done. I am forever grateful and will spread the word to anyone I know whom needs help after an accident!!!- Jennifer W.
Common Birth Injuries in Florida
Various types of birth injuries can occur due to medical malpractice, including:
- Erb’s palsy: This type of birth injury is caused by nerve damage toward the top of the infant’s brachial plexus, leading to weakness, paralysis, and loss of sensation in the arm. This type is often caused by excessive stretching or pulling of infants during a difficult delivery.
- Cerebral palsy: This is a permanent disability that generally entails impaired motor functions, weakness, muscle spasms, and even seizures. It’s caused by brain damage due to premature birth or lack of oxygen during pregnancy, labor, or delivery. This type of birth injury commonly occurs due to medical negligence, such as failing to notice that the infant was losing oxygen, failing to diagnose or treat jaundice, or failing to conduct a necessary C-section.
- Birth asphyxia: Also known as hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), birth asphyxia occurs when the infant is deprived of sufficient oxygen during delivery. Common causes include umbilical cord prolapse, uterine rupture, and placental abruption.
- Brachial plexus injuries: These entail nerve damage to the infant, causing paralysis and weakness. This condition can last for months or be lifelong, depending on the child's unique condition and the type of nerve damage. Examples include neuropraxia (mild nerve damage due to stretching), neuroma (tearing of the brachial plexus), rupture (occurs when the brachial plexus nerves are torn), and avulsion, which occurs when nerve roots are torn from the spine and results in total paralysis.
- Intracranial hemorrhages: Commonly known as "brain bleeds," these injuries involve damage to the baby's nerves, spine, bones, and brain. Examples include cerebral hemorrhage (caused by a stroke), subarachnoid hemorrhage (caused by pooling of blood between the two innermost membranes of the brain), intraventricular hemorrhage (bleeding in the ventricular system where spinal fluid is produced), and subdural hemorrhage (caused by ruptured blood vessels between the brain and the skull).
Compassionate Representation for Tallahassee Families
Birth injuries resulting from medical negligence are one of the most devastating things families can suffer during pregnancy and childbirth. Not only can they lead to incomprehensible losses of life, but they can also impose undue financial burdens on individuals and their loved ones, leaving families to foot the bill for extensive hospital stays, long-term rehabilitative care, and other treatments resulting from birth injuries.
Don’t risk losing the fair compensation you deserve by failing to secure representation. Whatever your situation, our Tallahassee birth injury attorneys at Perry & Young are here to fight for the justice you and your loved ones deserve during this difficult time. Our lawyers can help assist your family with filing a claim, fortify your case with compelling evidence, and negotiate effectively on your behalf.