I want to Thank and Applaud P&Y Firm for supporting the Accident Scene Management class this past weekend. Not only did they make it affordable for motorcyclists to take this life saving class, they provided lunch with Mike Zinszer Atty present to share info on insurance tips and legal info specifically for people who ride.- Cynthia L.
This firm is the most professional company. I have recommended several clients to Phillip Stamman and he has provided excellent guidance. He has an exceptionally strong eye for detail that has been a benefit to his clients.- Myra H.
I have used Ted Howell and Trina at this firm to help me for my claim and have referred other people as well to them that they have helped. They are dedicated to helping you and will go above and beyond for you. You will never have to wonder what is going on with your case as they always keep you in the loop. I highly recommend Ted and Trina if you need someone in your corner!- Hollie H.
Seriously so thankful to have found this firm. The staff at this establishment are so warm and welcoming and they are sharks they work hard you and put your needs first. Their communication is top tier they are patient and explain things to you so you can understand them. Thank you so much team Phillip you guys rock!- Lisa D.
I’m grateful to have chosen a firm that was professional, caring and made the process go smoothly. Ted and his team had great follow through and kept me informed throughout the entire process. I fully trust them and wouldn’t call anyone else.- Melissa M.
Perry and Young is a fantastic Law firm to work with! I have personally worked with Ted Howell on multiple occasions and he has been kind, professional, and extremely knowledgeable. I highly recommend Ted and Perry Young.- Christopher A.
Perry & Young is the best out there. I can't say enough about Phillip. Phillip communicated with me through the whole process, keeping me updated and answering any questions that I had. He was very knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile. I would highly recommend Phillip hands down the best there is.- Brandy B.
Kelly, Morgan, and Lauren are so welcoming and informative. They make a real difference both in and out of the office with their drive, ambition, and support.- Rebecca S.
What Constitutes Medical Malpractice?
In Florida, medical malpractice is a legal term that refers to negligence or misconduct committed by healthcare professionals, such as doctors, nurses, or hospitals, that results in harm or injury to a patient. It occurs when these professionals deviate from the standard of care expected in their field, leading to avoidable errors or mistakes.
Medical malpractice can happen due to various reasons, from failure to provide adequate treatment to the improper administration of anesthesia. Such negligent acts can cause significant physical, emotional, and financial harm to patients and their families, making it all the more crucial to turn to a medical malpractice lawyer you can trust to prioritize your needs and fight for the full compensation you deserve.
There are many causes of medical malpractice, including:
- Negligence: When healthcare providers fail to meet the standard of care expected in their profession, it can result in harm to the patients.
- Lack of communication: Inadequate communication between healthcare professionals regarding patient history, medications, and treatment plans can lead to errors and harmful outcomes.
- Inadequate training or supervision: If healthcare professionals are not properly trained or supervised, it can increase the likelihood of errors and negligence.
- Fatigue or burnout: Healthcare professionals who work long hours or experience high levels of stress and fatigue may be more prone to making mistakes and thus inflicting harm.
Causation is a crucial element that must be proven to hold a healthcare provider liable for medical malpractice in Florida. It establishes a direct link between the healthcare provider's negligence or breach of duty and the harm suffered by the patient.
Causation essentially means showing that the negligent actions or omissions of the healthcare provider were the cause of the patient's injuries or worsened their condition. Without establishing causation, claimants fail to prove that the healthcare provider's negligence directly led to the harm suffered by the patient.
Finally, the injured patient must show they suffered harm as a result of the doctor’s negligence. If there are no losses to be compensated, the medical malpractice claim will be dismissed or denied. “Harm” encompasses a wide range of injuries, and it’s important to note that this includes both physical and mental health conditions, in addition to emotional implications.
There are two primary types of damages that can be recovered in medical malpractice cases. They include:
- Economic Damages: These damages are financial losses suffered by the victim as a direct result of the medical malpractice incident. These damages are quantifiable and typically involve tangible costs, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and rehabilitation therapy.
- Non-Economic Damages: Also referred to as general damages, non-economic damages are meant to compensate the victim for intangible losses that are more difficult to quantify, such as emotional distress, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and scarring or disfigurement.
Breach of Duty
Claimants must establish that the physician breached their duty by acting negligently, such as failing to get informed consent, ignoring patient history, or failing to provide appropriate follow-up care. Common examples of breaches of duty by medical personnel include:
- Prescribing an incorrect medication or dosage
- Failing to diagnose a health issue promptly or entirely
- Discharging a patient from a medical facility prematurely
- Failing to review a patient’s history or current medications
- Disregarding, overlooking, or misreading test, lab, or imaging results
Common Medical Malpractice Cases We Handle
When it comes to safeguarding your health and exercising your rights after medical malpractice, securing trusted representation is crucial to recovering full damages. Fortunately, our medical malpractice attorneys represent clients in various types of medical malpractice in Panama City and beyond, including:
- Birth Injuries
- Surgical Errors
- Prescription Errors
- Delayed Diagnosis
If you were injured by medical negligence, our firm can fight for the justice you rightfully deserve. Contact us online to discuss your case.